Sunday, June 19, 2011

Illinois, Arkansas and Oklahoma's connection

This weekend I was able to go to Tahlequah, OK, which is only 45 minutes from the Arkansas border. The trip was a stake-wide young single adult activity and I went without knowing anyone. Brave eh? I met Will, Nick and Michael in the car, and then made friends with Megan and Laura once I got there. We camped alongside the river and it was so freaking humid I thought I was going to die. I mean, who should ever need to sleep under a mosquito net in as little clothing as they can get away with, on top of all their sleeping bag, because it is so hot? I was up by 5:30 and was sweating by 6:30. Seriously, how ridiculous is that!?!? We had breakfast at 7 and boarded the busses at 9. We went to War Eagle landing, boarded the boats, and had a 4 hour trip down the Illinois River. The biggest rapid was... maybe 2 inches, so it wasn't exactly a Ride the River trip. We pretty much just floated along, pulling the boats onto sand bars and playing in the river, swinging off ropes and rocks and just played around. We also played Pirates, meaning that we jumped on each other's boats, stole oars, pulled and pushed each other in the water, and just had an all-around good time. When we got off the river we went to a little restaurant called Sam and Ella's, which everyone pronounces "salmonella"... I was a little freaked out to go until I saw the name written down and realized the restaurant wasn't a guaranteed place to get some nasty germs.

The sign that greeted us at our camp. I'll admit, we got some definite crap from a few other campers.



Our campground


The view I woke up to at 5:30am


Sunrise


Our rafts!!!



All in all, a fabulous trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment