Saturday, June 9, 2012

Remission!


For the last month or so, Alisha has been asking me to come up with a blog post detailing my feelings about my final chemotherapy treatments, the transition into radiation, and now, my latest results. I've been putting it off, mostly because I didn't know how I felt or how to articulate it... but if there's anything I know about writing, it's that it helps establish opinions and feelings... so here I go.
It was pretty remarkable throughout the five months of chemo to see the gradual changes in my health and my ability to cope. I certainly found myself being strengthened physically and emotionally. I was still nauseous and tired all the time, but my capacity to deal with the difficulties what come with fighting cancer were buoyed up and made lighter. IT was gradual and I may not have realized it at the time, but in retrospect it is so clear. I believe this could only have happened because of the numerous prayers from family, friends, acquaintances, and even strangers that were raised up in my behalf. If you prayed for me at all during the last six months, know that my family and I are forever grateful, and also know that God answered your prayers. My oncologist, Dr. Ikeguchi, told me following a recent PET scan that my body showed a "remarkable" response to the chemotherapy treatments... and now my most recent PET scan summary reads:
Impression:
1. There has been further interval decrease in size of the prevascular soft tissue density now at background SUV levels with an SUV of 2.1. (Previous 2.3). This likely represents treated disease.
2. No metabolically active lesions suspicious for active disease are otherwise identified and the patient appears to be in metabolic remission.
So there's the official good news. I'm a cancer survivor. I'll have three weeks (they previously told me it would be four) of radiation beginning this coming Tuesday. Then I'll have to go back every three months or so for a checkup to make sure everything is staying healthy and disease free, and eventually I'll have my port removed. I start school again on Monday (I'm doing a short summer session) and will be so grateful for the busy schedule again, and even more excited about being able to get back to singing with a healthy instrument. I'm so grateful for everyone's support.

No comments:

Post a Comment