Friday, December 11, 2009

FINALS ARE OVER!!!

FINALS ARE OVER!!! This means I can relax until January 11th when Spring semester begins. Ok, relaxation isn't really attainable at the moment, but I can pretend it is!!

This semester was good... and bad all at the same time.

I blatantly failed Statistics 1040. I know because I was doing so poorly on the exams that I decided about half way through the semester that, because I was doing so poorly, I was going to re-take the class, no matter my final grade. I was a trooper and finished out the class... but I skipped out on the final exam. I know, I know, you don't need to say it.
The really crumby thing is that I understood everything on the quizzes and rarely did poorly, but when it was all together on the exams I just blanked when to use what.

On to happier news.
My Abuse, Neglect, and the Psychological Dimensions of Intimate Violence final was a cinch. I got a 96% and ranked 3rd out of 73 people who took the test. Yay me!! Thanks to extra credit I am sitting at a pretty 103% in that class.

That was the last Psychology class I have to take... I've finished all the requirements for my Psychology minor!!

My Social Work classes were awesome!!

My Practice 1 class was really cool. We learned how to interview people. For the second half of the semester we got in groups of three and all we did was practice interviewing using all the stuff we'd learned. Then for our final we were videotaped interviewing a pretend client for ten minutes... it was torture!! Our pretend client had been raped by four men... We had to watch the video and write a paper critiquing ourselves. I was a little worried because watching the video I saw quite a few things I could have done differently. Our requirement was two pages... mine ended up being three pages single spaced. I took the critique seriously!! But in the end it was good cause my professor wrote "Well thought out paper. You show me that you will be a wonderfully reflective social worker. GET YOUR MSW." (MSW stands for Masters of Social Work... he knows I'm not sure if I want to get a Masters or not)

However, my Social Work Research class was SO hard!! We have to bet a B to be able to continue on in the program. We learned how to write research papers, which was hard but awesome. Our "final" was writing a research proposal. The focus of my research centered on the difference between homeless clients who receive training in hard skills compared to those trained in soft skills versus those trained in hard and soft skills. Sounds a little lame, but I'm SUPER interested in working with the homeless. I haven't gotten the grade for that back yet but right now I'm getting a 91% in the class. I finished the final up quickly so I'm a little nervous, but I've got my fingers crossed.

Next semester I'm taking Practice 2 and Practice 3. We actually get to go out in the community and interview real people!! I talked to my professor and we're going to do a homeless study!! YAY!

Next semester I'll also take Mental Health, Child Welfare, Stat 1040 and Choir.

I'm super excited about Child Welfare but I'm nervous cause I know the teacher's tests are strictly essay and that makes me a little nervous.

I'm INCREDIBLY excited for Mental Health too, as that is primarily what I want my emphasis to be. Plus I've already taken Abnormal Psychology so I shouldn't have too hard of a time.

So, after next semester all I have left is Social Statistics, and my practicum (unless I'm forgetting something). Not bad huh?

All in all we're doing pretty darn good. I'll try to talk Anthony into posting something about his semester... but don't hold your breath for that one!! He's enjoying his time off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment