Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Sleeplessness and Nostalgia


So I'm chilling in bed, unable to sleep, and started feeling a little nostalgic for the Spratt Cave. I went to iphotos to find some photos and decided to see what I was doing this same time in 2009. Here is what I found that is the closest to today:

Me and my bestest, Andrew in the Spratt Cave. I was always over there.

Dave wearing my boots. What a stud! That up on the wall next to him is the quote wall... I only made it on the wall once. I choose to forget what I said. However, my finesse on the quoting frontier has not changed at all. :)

After missing Dave, Meagan, Andrew and Robby I decided to check what I was doing around the same time in 2008 and began searching. Mission photos came up and nostalgia REALLY set in. Man, I miss Japan! I miss my Elders and my companions! I miss the Ume trees beginning to bloom and waiting for the sakura to bloom! I miss morning schedule and DTM's and Zone conferences and train rides. I miss my bike, Bruce, and my bright blue rain kappa. I miss Grandpa Tsukada and Mr. Kondo and his family. I miss Kanazawa and the smell of the street by Kenroukuen on the way home at night. I miss feeling like I am doing something worthwhile. I miss feeling the spirit almost every second of ever day! I miss nightly phone calls from the District Leaders and trying to guess where we would go for transfers. I miss knocking on doors and stopping people on the sidewalk. I don't miss the earthquakes or typhoons, but I miss the excitement they used to bring. I even miss getting lost!!!

February of 2008 I was in my 1st transfer in Kanazawa. Beautiful, beautiful Kanazawa!!!!! It was the one place I did NOT want to go to... but I fell in love with the people and the area, and cried when I got transferred out 3 months later.

P-day in Kenroukuen as a district

While cleaning the apartment Sasaki shimai and I found tiara's, bead necklaces and wands... we wore them during planning session on hard days to make ourselves feel better. Notice our matching shirts :) I wonder where that shirt is....

Our Valentine's concert. Elder Fuller and Williams baked cookies for the decorating contest, and Sasaki shimai and I decorated the room. I have never cut out so many hearts in my entire life, and the elders even found a mirror ball that we were able to use. An investigator played jazz piano, Alex (Elder Fuller) played the sax, and I sang. It was an amazing night and we all had a ton of fun!

It's funny how time flies... Life has not turned out at all how I thought it would... but I don't think I would change a thing. Ok, that's a lie, I would, but it's good enough :D


No comments:

Post a Comment