Saturday, March 13, 2010

Peripheral insulin resistance

I went to the doctor and she wanted to take a blood sample to test a few things and these are the results:

Peripheral insulin resistance; Failure of target tissues to increase glucose disposal in response to insulin.
See also: Insulin resistance (The diminished ability of cells to respond to the action of insulin in transporting glucose (sugar) from the bloodstream into muscle and other tissues.)



They want me to start taking Metformin; an oral diabetes medicine that helps control blood sugar levels.



So, my body is producing correct amounts of insulin, but the levels are too high when compared to my glucose and I am in a "pre-diabetic state"...


She said that is why I crave carbs & sugar... because my body feels like it needs more insulin, but I already have enough, my body just isn't using it properly.


So, eating more protein and taking the Metformin will "make my cells respond" the way they're supposed to and it should help my body "use energy the way it should."

No comments:

Post a Comment